While we cannot say with certainty when Kilmihil joined the GAA it is clear that the Club was active in 1888.

According to the Saturday Record of 10th March 1888, “The Lord Clares (Miltown) were to have played Kilmihil on Sunday at Kilimer, and were on the appointed “battle ground” at 2.30 o clock, but were doomed to disappointment, as the latter were unable to attend, through business arrangements, in connection with the Annual elections for Poor Law Guardians, and also the election of Coroner for West Clare. An adjournment was therefore decided on, until next Sunday, when the match will be played on the beautiful lawn at Freagh Castle, which has been kindly given by Mr. Kenny.”

The result of the match was not published, but we can assume that Kilmihil were defeated, as Miltown went on to play further matches.