Cahermurphy played Kildysart in Junior Football at Cooraclare in April 1956.
“The value of teamwork and experience was the deciding factor in a keenly contested, but always sporting game, between Cahermurphy and Kildysart at Cooraclare on Sunday. A strong wind, blowing up field, ensured that the upper goal was constantly under siege in both periods. Kildysart were the defenders in the first half, and from the kick-off it was obvious that Kilmihil’s main weapon of attack was a fast and accurate group of half-forwards, aided by a first class place kicker in Collins, and all four, given the least chance, promptly dispatched the leather between the posts. They did this to such effect that the half time scoreboard read:-
Cahermurphy 1-9 Kildysart no score
On the changeover Kildysart swung into the attack, but persisted in trying to walk the ball into the goal, which was fatal, against a defence, in which Eddie Cotter and Finn Callinan were brilliant. In fact it was Kilmihil who came back for a goal. First blood came for the losers, a point from Pender, followed by two from P. Mc Carthy. In an all out onslaught Kildysart were awarded a penalty, which James Cleary promptly dispatched to the net. In another attack Paddy Mc Carthy had the score of the game, a brilliant goal. Still playing for goals Kildysart missed many chances of notching points, which eventually proved their undoing.”
Final score: Cahermurphy 2-9 Kildysart 2-3

In June Cahermurphy beat Clondegad in Junior Football.

Also in June 1956 Kilmihil beat Ennistymon in Senior Football by 1-7 to 1-4.
“The game was played at a fast pace throughout, but never reached a high standard. Ennistymon were unlucky not to have made it a draw in the last minutes of the game, when a great shot from full-forward, Flanagan, went just wide. Eddie Cotter was very sound for Kilmihil, and was well supported by Collins, Kelly, Lineen & John Browne.”

In July 1956, Ennis Faughs beat Kilmihil in the Cusack Cup at Miltown. Kilmihil objected on the grounds that the Faughs team was illegal, as it was not properly registered. The objection became the subject of debate at the August Board meeting and the Appeals Committee upheld the Kilmihil objection. In September Faughs successfully appealed the decision of the previous meeting and a replay was fixed.
“Kilmihil convincingly beat Faughs, the first play off in their division, at Cooraclare on Sunday, qualifying to meet Cooraclare in the Final. At their last meeting Faughs won by a goal, but they faced a different Kilmihil on Sunday. The winners were fast, clever and better fielders, but Faughs never gave up trying. They had good players in M. Blake, M.O’Shea and H. O’Donnell. Try as they might they could not overcome J. Finucane, E. Cotter, M. Browne & D. Kelly.
Football was very good and clean, with hard knocks given and taken in the best sportsmanlike manner.”
Final score: Kilmihil 1-14 Ennis Faughs 3-1

The Senior Championship got underway in August 1956.
“Doonbeg, Co. Champions, were lucky to survive Kilmihil in their Senior Football Championship encounter at Cooraclare on Sunday. Played in ideal conditions, Kilmihil looked for a long time all set for a surprise victory. With real determination for 50 minutes it was all Kilmihil, until the Doonbeg mentors brought on Jim Carney, whose appearance made all the difference to his team-mates. He helped in no small way to get in the deciding goal for victory. Kilmihil were most unlucky, as on Sunday’s display they were the better team. From free kicks alone they should have won the match. As least seven from scoring distance were sent wide in the first half. Doonbeg must thank their goalie, Cahill, for two great saves. The backs indulged in attempts to solo with the ball, when catch-and-kick methods would have paid better dividends. Eamonn Cotter, Kilmihil, was the outstanding man of the match, and had good support from his brother Paddy as full-back, and O’Grady, Collins & Carmody. Kilmihil’s centre-field was never in position, and as a result, J. Power, Doonbeg, had a very good match. M. Browne, D. Kelly and Sean Quinlivan were best in an erratic Kilmihil forward line.”
Final score: Doonbeg 1-4 Kilmihil 1-3.

Team: John Carmody, Pat Cotter, Michael Collins, Eamonn Cotter, Tommy Normoyle,
Paddy Mc Namara, Finn Callinan, John Browne, Johnno Finucane, Sean Quinlivan, Michael Browne, Sean Lineen & Danno Kelly.
Kilmihil objected on the grounds that Jim Carney was illegal and the outcome was that Doonbeg agreed to a replay which they won convincingly by 0-12 to 0-2.

The Junior team had better success having beaten Kildysart, Clondegad and Mullagh and thus qualified for the final against Bealaha.
The final was not played until 21st April, 1957 and the final score was:-
Cahermurphy 1-7 Bealaha 1-2