In the Clare Journal of 16th August 1900 there is a brief report of a football match  between Kilmihil and Kilkee. There is no reference in the Journal as to the status of this game however further research indicates that it was in fact the Semi-Final of the Senior Championship.

“On Sunday last a very interesting and well contested football match was played at Danganelly between Kilkee and Kilmihil teams. The Kilkee men drove in long cars as did the Kilmihil men. On the whole the match was a good one, well conducted and passed off very quietly.”

Kilmihil won the toss and had the aid of the breeze in the first half and led 0-1 to nil at half time.

Kilkee scored 2 points in the second half to leave the final score:

Kilkee 0-2     Kilmihil 0-1

Kilmihil team: James Mc Mahon (Capt.), Jim Pilkington, John Trousdell, John Mc Mahon, J. Brogan, M. Kelly, T. Hogan, James O’Shea, Sonny Meaney, Tom Ryan, James, Michael & Pat Mc Donald, Stephen Normoyle, J. Daly, Gilbert, Considine & T. Mc Dermott.


Kilmihil lodged an objection on the grounds that the rules were several times infringed during the match. A meeting of the Committee of the G.A.A. was held in Ennis on 15th September to discuss the matter and although they were notified Kilkee did not attend. The Committee had no alternative but to have the match played again on Sunday 23rd September.  Kilmihil won the replay and this time Kilkee objected, however when the matter came up for discussion at the Board meeting Kilkee did not have a representative in attendance and the Board duly dismissed the appeal and awarded the match to Kilmihil.


Kilmihil contested the Senior Championship County Final against St. Patrick’s (Labasheeda) on 18th November 1900. The Kilmihil team travelled to Labasheeda accompanied by a large contingent of supporters and were led into the village by a  fife and drum band. The half time score was: Labasheeda 0-4 Kilmihil 0-1. Labasheeda scored three further points in the second half to leave the final score at

0-7 points to 0-1.