Cusack Cup

Kilmihil met Shannon Gaels in the first round of the Cusack Cup and a last minute goal deprived them of victory. Final Score: Shannon Gaels 1-4  Kilmihil 0-6.

Kilmihil were in contention for a semi final place when they came up against Kilkee who were in danger of being relegated. This was the first major clash between the sides since the Co. Final meeting in Carron the previous year and this time Kilkee’s victory was more emphatic. Kilkee dominated the game from the start and poor finishing by the Kilmihil forwards didn’t help matters.

Final Score: Kilkee 1-14  Kilmihil 0-5.

Scorers: Colm Collins 0-2 (frees), Thomas Egan, Patrick Egan & Noel Normoyle 0-1 each.

Team: Thomas Finucane, John Browne, Michael Garvey, Pat Moran, Pat Pender, Stan Lineen, John Hayes, Joe Kelly, Noel Normoyle, Thomas Egan, Michael Keating, Colm Collins, Pat Ryan, Pat Garry & Patrick Egan.

In Division 2 (Banner Cup) Kilmihil were beaten in the Semi-Final by Kilmurry Ibrickane , 2-6 to 1-3. Gerard Johnston scored 1-2 & his brother Andrew scored 0-1.

Senior Championship

For the first time in 21 years Kilmihil would be fielding a team in the Senior Championship without a Murphy. Starting in 1964 with Teddy and followed later by Sean & Martin the Murphy brothers made an outstanding contribution not just to the Club but also to the County team and both Teddy & Martin played for Munster in the Railway Cup. It is worth mentioning that Teddy and Martin have the distinction of being the first and second Clare footballers respectively to be nominated for an “All Star” award.

So how would Kilmihil fare out when they faced up to the challenge of Kilrush in the first round of the Senior Championship, the headline in the Clare Champion summed up the result.

Cotter’s goals kill off Kilrush

The early exchanges were fairly even until Noel Normoyle struck for a goal in the 23rd minute to leave three points between the sides at half time. Kilrush mounted a challenge early in the second half scoring three points to level the match once again.

Kilmihil’s response was decisive, Padraic Cotter scored two points from frees and he followed this with a well taken goal. Thomas Egan added a point and Cotter topped it off with his second goal, game over.

An accidental clash with Colm Fennel left Michael Keating in agony with what was later confirmed as a fractured leg. While this unfortunate incident had no bearing on the result of the game Michael’s loss would be felt later in the Championship.

Final Score: Kilmihil 3-8  Kilrush 1-10

Scorers: Padraic Cotter 2-2, Noel Normoyle 1-1, Thomas Egan 0-4 & Francis Normoyle 0-1.

Team: James Pender, Pat Moran, Michael Garvey, Pat Pender, John Hayes, Michael Mescall, Stan Lineen, Joe Kelly, Noel Normoyle, Thomas Egan, Michael Keating, Pat Ryan, Padraic Cotter, Pat Garry & Francis Normoyle.

Subs. Batt Crowley for Joe Kelly & Senan Nolan for Michael Keating.

In the quarter-Final Kilmihil met St. Breckan’s at Cusack Park. Playing with the breeze Kilmihil opened a two point lead however St. Breckan’s began to dominate the game and scored two points leaving the sides level at half time. They continued to dominate scoring three points inside the first five minutes of the second half but Kilmihil fought their way back into the game with points from Padraic Cotter, Noel Normoyle and Martin Murphy. In the 18th minute Noel Normoyle linked up with his brother Francis who laid off a good pass to Thomas Egan to score a goal. However St. Breckan’s refused to concede and they scored six unanswered points to win the game on the score of 0-11 to 1-5. 

The Minors were beaten by a point by Cooraclare, 1-4 to 0-6.