U14 Division 2 Football Championship

The first round of the U14 Division 2 Football Championship was against Kilmurry Ibrickane on 9th June and Kilmihil displayed their superior skills with a comprehensive victory scoring 8-16 to 1-1.  This was followed by a similar display against the Banner scoring 10-8 to 2-5.

Next up were Clarecastle who started well and after a couple of wides scored 1-1 before Kilmihil raided up the field and started to dominate scoring 1-7. Clarecastle scored a goal to leave the half time score 1-7 to 2-3. The second half was a lively affair with Martin O Leary and the Clarecastle full forward exchanging 3 goals each but Kilmihil’s better points tally ensured Kilmihil gained their 3rd win on a final score of 5-12 to 6-5.

Kilmihil defeated Clondegad in wet and windy conditions at Clondegad. Playing against the wind Kilmihil trailed by 1 point at half time on the score of 1-2 to 1-3. Aided by a strong breeze in the second half Captain Martin O’Leary led his team to victory scoring 3-3 in the process.

At this stage it was clear that there were two teams dominating the competition and Kilmihil were eagerly awaiting the game against Ennistymon. Playing with the wind in the first half Kilmihil led at half time 1-7 to 1-2 but should have scored a lot more. Kilmihil played much better in the second half but Ennistymon fought back with a late rally. When the final whistle sounded there was confusion when the referee declared the game a draw. We thought that we had won the game by two points however it appears that the referee recorded a goal as a point resulting in a draw.  In any event both teams were through to the semi final and were likely to meet again in the final.

Kilmihil faced Clarecastle in the Semi-Final in a lively affair in heavy underfoot conditions at Lissycasey. Niall Pender opened the score with a free and shortly afterwards Allyn Dalton went through for a goal. Clarecastle replied with 3 points, Niall Pender goaled from an Ellie O’Gorman shot which hit the post and Ronan Waters added on 2 points. Clarecastle goaled to make it 2-4 to 1-3 at halftime. Kilmihil upped the tempo on the restart with 2 goals from Allyn Dalton and one each from Niall Pender, David Egan and Laura Egan. Clarecastle hit back with a goal and to their credit never gave up but the Kilmihil defence held firm.

Final Score: Kilmihil 7-10 Clarecastle 2-4.

Scorers: Allyn Dalton 3-3, Niall Pender 2-2, Ronan Waters 0-4, Laura Egan 1-1, and David Egan 1-0.

Kilmihil were determined to retain their title when they took to the field at Cooraclare on 27th August. Niall Pender opened the scoring in the first minute with a goal however Ennistymon replied with a goal. Kilmihil took control and dominated in all areas of the field and built up a 6 point lead by half time, 1-8 to 1-2. Ennistymon scored two points early in the second half but Kilmihil replied with a goal by Allyn Dalton and a point from Ronan Waters. Martin O’Leary had a shot for a goal but the Ennistymon goalkeeper made a brilliant save. For the last 20 minutes Ennistymon took the game to Kilmihil and made attack after attack but through a combination of poor finishing and some brilliant defending by the backs and in particular Matthew Keane in goals they only managed one more point and Kilmihil held on to win by 7 points. Final Score: Kilmihil 2-9 Ennistymon 1-5.

Scorers: Martin O’Leary (0-5), Niall Pender (1-1), Allyn Dalton (1-1), Laura Egan & Ronan Waters (0-1) each.

Intermediate Championship 2008

This was the third year in a row meeting Clondegad in the first round of the Intermediate Championship and Kilmihil were waiting to avenge last years defeat. Playing with the wind in the first half Kilmihil built up a lead they were never to loose. Paul Reidy struck the first fatal blow just before half time with a well taken goal to lead at half time 1-6 to 0-3.This was the best display from a Kilmihil team in years, they played with passion, determination and commitment as well as skill. When Clondegad fought back in the second half and narrowed the margin to 3 points Kilmihil were undaunted and responded with a goal per Shane Egan. Indeed Shane was unlucky when his previous effort was well saved by the Clondegad goalkeeper. Scorers: Paul Reidy 1-3, Shane Egan 1-1, David Ryan 0-2 and 0-1 each per Derek O’Connell, Shane Mangan & Mark O’Connell.

Kilmihil defeated O’Callaghan’s Mills in the second round of the Championship at Roslevin. Heavy rain made conditions difficult for both teams however Kilmihil dominated throughout. A total of 8 players scored for Kilmihil, Paul Reidy 0-4, Timmy Ryan 0-3 and one each from Declan Downes, Shane Mangan, Alan Normoyle, Philip Ryan, Shane Egan & Mark O’Connell.

We received a walk over from Clooney Quin in the third round and thus finished top of the Group. 

On 21st September we met Kilmurry Ibrickane in the Semi-Final at Cooraclare.  Captain Mark O’Connell was first to score with a well taken point. Timmy Ryan was in control at mid field while up front Paul Reidy was in top form scoring 5 points in all. Kilmihil dominated the game and led at half time, 9 points to 2. Kilmurry Ibrickane pressed hard in the second half but the Kilmihil defence held firm and the end result was never in doubt. Scorers: Paul Reidy 0-5, Timmy Ryan 0-2, Declan Downes, Shane Mangan, Mark O’Connell, David Ryan & Colm O’Gorman 0-1 each. Subs. Niall O’Halloran for Philip Ryan and Enda O’Halloran for Declan Downes.

The Final

Last year we met Michael Cusack’s in the third round of the Championship at Miltown Malbay and on the day they were the better team. That loss knocked us out of the Championship and they went on to contest the Final but were beaten by Ballyvaughan. A year later, same venue, same opposition but this time round we wanted a different result, and we got it. Playing conditions were ideal for football and a large crowd turned out to cheer on their respective teams. Tension was high with so much at stake for both sides, Kilmihil were determined to return to Senior status while Cusack’s were determined not to loose two in a row. Kilmihil were first to score but Cusack’s replied and led for a short period before Kilmihil got the upper hand and led at half-time 0-6 to 0-4. On the resumption Kilmihil pressed hard and were unlucky not to score a goal. They continued the pressure and stretched the lead to four points. Cusack’s fought back and reduced the margin to two but were unable to get on top of a solid Kilmihil defence and the final whistle was greeted with a mixture of relief and elation to make 2008 a year to remember.

Scorers: Paul Reidy 0-5 (4 frees), Colm O’Gorman, Shane Mangan, Philip Ryan, Alan Normoyle & Enda O’Halloran 0-1 each.

Team lineout: Jonathan O’Sullivan, Conor Crowley, Dermot Haugh, Shane Egan, Karl Downes, Mark O’Connell (Capt.), Derek O’Connell, Shane Mangan, Philip Ryan, David Ryan, Timmy Ryan, Alan Normoyle, Paul Reidy, Colm O’Gorman and James Egan.

Subs: Niall O’Halloran for Colm O’Gorman and Enda O’Halloran for James Egan.

Family connections past and present.

Timmy Ryan senior won an Intermediate Championship medal in 1941 and at the age of 98 he was at Miltown Malbay on 12th October 2008 to see his grandsons David & Timmy emulate his achievements.

Another member of the team in 1941 was Mick Quinlivan and his son Paddy is the President of the Club. Paddy had given many years of dedicated service to the Club and he also looks after the field and always has it in pristine condition for games. Paddy’s son Pat won an U21 Championship in 1987 and he is the Chairman of the Club this year.

Tadhg Reidy played in the full-forward position when Kilmihil won the Intermediate Championship in 1928 and keeping up the family tradition is his grandson Paul Reidy who scored five points in the final.

Munster Club Intermediate Championship

Kilmihil were drawn against Ballysteen in the first round of the Munster Club Intermediate Championship on 9th November with the Limerick team having home advantage. However their pitch was deemed unplayable and the game was moved to Ballyagran. Heavy rain made conditions difficult but in spite of this the game was played at a fast pace.  Paul Reidy got the opening score and although Ballysteen responded Kilmihil gradually got on top and had the better of the play despite playing against the wind and were two points up at half time 0-7 to 0-5. Heavy rain and a strong breeze made conditions even worse in the second half. Kilmihil dominated in most areas of the field, the defence held firm throughout and broke up numerous attacks, Mark O’Connell at centre-back played the Captain’s part and attacked up field on a number of occasions. At centre-field Shane Mangan put in a lot of work and scored three excellent points while up front Paul Reidy and Timmy Ryan caused problems for the Ballysteen defence. The outcome was never in doubt as Kilmihil stretched the lead to four points and the game ended 0-10 to 0-06.   

This victory set us up for a Semi-Final clash with St. Finbarr’s on 16th November with the advantage of a home venue. St. Finbarr’s made the long journey from Cork in expectation of victory, after all they were hot favourites to win this game, however they hadn’t bargained on the display of passion, determination and skill from a Kilmihil team who are growing in confidence with every game. St. Finbarr’s were first to score but this was cancelled out by a free from Paul Reidy. The game ebbed and flowed but gradually the tenacity and work rate of the Kilmihil team saw them build up a two point lead at half time, 0-6 to 0-4. St. Finbarr’s had the advantage of a slight breeze in the second half however it was of little use to them as Kilmihil upped their work rate and dominated the third quarter scoring two points without reply. The score that rocked the ‘barrs came in the 10th minute when David Ryan finished off a great move with a superb goal. St. Finbarr’s tried desperately to get back into the game however the Kilmihil defence were in a mean mood and made the ‘barrs work hard for every score. There was one moment of anxiety when they scored a goal but the umpires were in no doubt that it was a square ball and following consultation with the referee the goal was disallowed, much to the delight of the Kilmihil supporters. The final score came from the boot of Captain Mark O’Connell and the cheer from the crowd almost lifted the roof off the Stand, it gave Kilmihil a four point cushion and with the clock running down there was no way back for St. Finbarr’s.

Final score: Kilmihil 1-9     St. Finbarr’s 0-8

Once again this was a team effort with every player on the field working hard supporting one another. The backs were superb throughout the game while Shane Mangan & Philip Ryan worked hard at midfield. Up front the forwards combined well and caused headaches for the ‘barrs defence. Kilmihil were well deserved of their historic four point victory and were applauded by the crowd as they left the field after the match.

Scorers: Paul Reidy 0-6 (4 frees), David Ryan 1-0, Timmy Ryan 0-2 & Mark O’Connell 0-1.

Munster Intermediate Club Final

Kilmihil v St. Michael’s Foilmore

Kilmihil made the long journey to Mallow on 30th November to contest the Munster Intermediate Club Final, however St. Michael’s/Foilmore proved to be too fast for Kilmihil in what turned out to be a one sided affair. They hunted in packs and threw the ball around at such a pace that we were unable to cope with them. David Ryan was our target man up front however he had to contend with two defenders every time the ball was passed to him. In spite of this he scored two points from play and won a number of frees. We failed to take the chances that came our way kicking 11 wides in total. In any event this Kerry team are in a different class and in fact play in the Kerry Senior League. They subsequently went on to win the All Ireland Final. Our lads played their hearts out and kept attacking up to the final whistle.

Final Score: Kilmihil 0-7 St. Michael’s Foilmore 2-13

Scorers: Paul Reidy 0-5 (4 frees), David Ryan 0-2.

2008 was a good year for our underage footballers, the U10’s won the Canny Shield, the U13B team won the West Clare Divisional Board Championship and the U16’s won the Division 2 Shield.

Our hurlers reached the Semi-Final of the U16C Championship but lost out to Crusheen.

The Minors had a few good wins but missed out on a Semi-Final place.

The U21 team were narrowly beaten in the Semi-Final by Doora-Barefield who went on to win the Final.