1969 opened with under-age teams competing at all levels, U14, U16, Minor and U21.

In the Cusack Cup Kilmihil played Mohane and Ennis Faughs and then defeated Shannon Gaels by 4-8 to 2-3.

“For his power-punching performance  the accolade of “Man-of-the Match” belongs to Paudie Halpin. But he had plenty of support from the Kilmihil forwards, all of whom showed up well, and whose every move was meaningful. There were so many good performances for the winners it is hard to single out individuals, except to say that Teddy and Sean Murphy, Henry Sheehan and P.J. Keogh were to the fore.

Team: Team: Jim Anglim, Michael Normoyle, Sean Keogh, John Mc Mahon, Teddy Murphy, Kevin O’Halloran, Liam O’Halloran, Sean Murphy, Henry Sheehan, Martin Murphy, Thomas Mc Mahon, Batt Crowley, J. Mc Mahon, P.J. Keogh and Paudie Halpin.    

In July Kilmihil played Kilmurry Ibrickane in the Cusack Cup and the game ended in a draw. Score   Kilmihil 1-7      Kilmurry Ibrickane 2-4.

“While Kilmihil may have suffered somewhat from overconfidence their snatching of a draw, through a powerful fight back, will have done much for their morale. Full-back Sean Keogh was outstanding. In the first half he broke up attack after attack, and continued this good work in the second half, and culminated his days efforts by scoring the equalizer. Not bad for a full-back, when so many present day forwards are  incapable of the feat. Tom and James Mc Mahon were very much in the picture too. Teddy Murphy was the usual tower of strength while Paudie Halpin was a diligent score-getter.”

The replay took place on 26th July at Kilrush, this time there was no doubt about the winners. Kilmihil 1-11    Kilmurry Ibrickane 0-4.

“Once again the losers battled with commendable courage and quite an amount of enterprise, but this time they could not find a way around the stout Kilmihil defence, while at the other end the Kilmihil forwards had a shooting party. Leader in the winners’ attack was Paudie Halpin, equally adept at scoring with his fist as with his boot. He chalked up 7 points in turn in a great performance. However, the game  was much more evenly contested than the scoreboard suggests, and it is because of his great work at full-back that Sean Keogh must, once again, be selected as  “Man-of-the Match” But for him the Quilty men might have penetrated the defences on many occasions. At mid-field Batt Crowley hit his true form, and gave a spirited display, which he culminated by scoring the only goal of the match in the dying seconds. Martin Murphy and Thomas Mc Mahon worked assiduously in the half-forward line, and another Kilmihil man who found true form was P. J. Keogh, who played neat and constructive football.

Team: Tom Frawley, James Mc Mahon, Sean Keogh, Michael Normoyle, John Mc Mahon, Teddy Murphy, Liam O’Halloran, Batt Crowley, Sean Murphy, Martin Murphy, Thomas Mc Mahon, P.J. Keogh, Paudie Halpin, Dominic Mc Mahon & Kevin O’Halloran.

In the Semi-Final Kilmihil met Kilrush.

“Kilmihil took the lead in the second minute, when a deceptive shot from Sean Murphy was taken by Clancy in the Kilrush goal but went to the net when Clancy lost his footing. Murphy added a point shortly afterwards, and the John Hehir opened the Kilrush account with a point. Paudie Halpin came into the picture with a fine goal for Kilmihil, and then they added another goal and a point, both by Dominic Mc Mahon to make it 3-2 to 0-1 at the half way stage. On the resumption a goal by Martin Murphy for Kilmihil was disallowed. Then Kilrush came into the picture. Spearheaded by Kennedy, who had 3 points in a row, they fought back. Them Frank Moloney took two lovely points, and Kennedy had another minor. A point from a free by Martin Murphy was the only Kilmihil score in this half. The rampant Kilrush forwards now rushed forward, sensing victory. Hehir shot a deceptive one from the side to the net, and when Griffin tapped one over, there was only one point in it. However, the Kilmihil defence held out, and thus the home side were through to their second Cusack Cup Final in succession.”   

Two weeks later, on 17th August, Kilmihil played Doonbeg in the Semi-Final of the Senior Championship played at Kilrush.

Final score: Doonbeg  0-11   Kilmihil 1-6

Team: Jim Anglim, Michael Normoyle, Sean Keogh, John Mc Mahon, James Mc Mahon, Teddy Murphy, Liam O’Halloran, Sean Murphy, Batt Crowley, Thomas Mc Mahon, Kevin O’Halloran, Dermot O’Neill, P.J. Keogh & Martin Murphy + 1.

Subs: Henry Sheehan for P.J. Keogh and Tom Downes for Dermot O’Neill.

The two sides met again in the Final of the Cusack Cup on 26th October and once again Doonbeg emerged victorious.

Final score:  Doonbeg  2-6    Kilmihil 2-3.

“For 50 minutes Kilmihil were on the verge of depriving Doonbeg of an all-time record on the football scene, but one minute later, full-forward Sean Griffin put the Magpies ahead with a well earned point. “