U14 Division 2 Football Championship 2007.

Kilmihil started the year by winning the “Michael Cotter” Cup and their opponents in the final were Clondegad. Final score: Kilmihil 3 – 09  to Clondegad 3 – 05.

In the Championship Kilmihil played 8 games in the league section and recorded 5 wins, 1 draw and two losses. Incidentally the two losses were against Ennistymon and Clondegad.

In the semi final Kilmihil were drawn against Ennistymon who had beaten us in the league on a score of 4 –11 to 1 – 11 so we knew it would take a huge effort to win it.

The players responded and totally dominated the game winning comfortably scoring  4 – 16 to 1 – 06.

When Kilmihil played Clondegad in the league they were without their inspirational captain Stan Lineen and Clondegad ran out easy winners on a score of 4 -18 to 3 –02.

Clondegad turned up for the final confident that the Cup was theirs for the taking and must have been taken aback when they found themselves 7 points in arrears at half time.  Kilmihil stretched their lead with a goal just after half time but aided by the breeze Clondegad fought their way back into the game and gradually reduced the deficit. It was nail biting in the last ten minutes with the Kilmihil defence under sustained pressure as Clondegad launched attack after attack. Allyn Dalton made a burst out of defence and was fouled as he kicked the ball. This resulted in a free from where the ball landed which was within scoring range and the resulting point stretched the lead to two points. When the final whistle sounded there was just 1 point between the sides.

Kilmihil had their best players in Stan Lineen, Martin O’Leary (1 –5), Allyn Dalton and Aidan Kelly.

Final score: Kilmihil 2 – 08  Clondegad 1 – 10.

The team was managed by Ollie Breen, Gerry Crowley, Enda O’Halloran and Larry Murray.

Kilmihil U14D Hurling Champions

Kilmihil won the U14D Hurling Championship when they defeated Tubber in the final on a score of 5 – 13 to 1 – 1.

The team was managed by Gerry Lernihan and Frank Finucane.

On the way to the Final they beat Cratloe, Scariff, St. Breckan’s, Tubber, Eire Og (2), Newmarket on Fergus (2), Ogonnelloe, & Kilnamona.

The team lined out as follows:

Conor Finucane, Diarmuid Lorigan, Stephen Coughlan, Ronan Waters, Stan Lineen,

Jason Lillis, Mark Bohannon, Kieran Ryan, Jason Downes, Martin O’Leary (Capt.),

Fergal Nolan, Conor Egan & Allyn Dalton.

Subs: Daniel Blake, Niall Pilkington, Cian Lineen & Paul Nolan.


Junior League Division 6.

Kilmihil played 6 games in the league with 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss.

Incidentally the loss was against St Breckan’s who won all six of their games and they went into the final as favourites.

Aided by the breeze in the first half St. Breckan’s led at half time 6 points to 1. When John Normoyle moved to centre field Kilmihil started to get on top, John scored three frees and Paul Finucane scored a goal to give Kilmihil a one point lead. This was followed by another goal from David Griffin and it looked like we were going to win comfortably. St. Breckan’s responded with a point and Eamon Ryan scored a point for Kilmihil. The last 7 minutes were tension filled as St. Breckan’s fought back with three unanswered points but Kilmihil held out to win by a point.

Scorers: Paul Finucane & David Griffin 1 goal each, John Normoyle 3 points from frees, Joe Duggan & Eamon Ryan 1 point each.

Team lineout: Christopher Donnelly, Padraig O’Halloran, Alan Frawley, Sean O’Leary, Eamon Ryan, Ger Cahill, Brendan Melican, Joe Duggan, Enda Conway, Niall Reidy, Nigel Russell, Shane Egan, Michael Darcy, John Normoyle & Eoin Downes. Subs: David Griffin for Enda Conway, Paul Finucane for Nigel Russell, Damien Lineen for Michael Darcy.

The team was managed by Pat Reidy, John Dalton, Kevin O’Halloran & Frank Lorigan.

Garry Cup

Kilmihil had a good run in the Garry Cup and qualified for the Semi-Final against Kilrush. Shane Mangan got the first point but Kilrush answered with a goal and led at half time by

1-2 to 4 points. Kilmihil dominated the third quarter and scored four points but Kilrush came back into the game in the last quarter and scored four unanswered points to win by a point. Final score: Kilmihil 0-8 Kilrush 1-6.

Scorers: Declan Downes 3 points from frees, Shane Mangan 2, Paul Reidy, Karl Downes & David Lorigan 1 point each.

Intermediate Championship

Kilmihil lost the first round of the Intermediate Championship against Clondegad on a score of 1-9 to 1-11. Training had gone well and Kilmihil were expecting to win this game having beaten Clondegad by six points in the first round the previous year. However on this occasion Clondegad were more determined and Kilmihil failed to play to their potential.

Declan Downes scored a goal, Noel Downes, Timmy Ryan and Shane Mangan scored 2 points each, David Ryan, Mark O’Connell, and Alan Normoyle scored 1 point each.

The team lined out as follows: Eoin Downes, Joe Duggan, Dermot Haugh, Ger Cahil, Alan Normoyle, Karl Downes, Mark O’Connell, Shane Mangan (Capt.), David Ryan, Noel Downes, Declan Downes, Colm O’Gorman, Enda O’Halloran, Timmy Ryan & Paul Reidy. Subs. Niall O’Halloran for Colm O’Gorman, Derek O’Connell for Joe Duggan. 

The effect of this defeat was to undermine the confidence level in the team and although they overcame Kilmurry Ibrickane in the second round by 1-10 to 0-7 the performance was less than convincing and did little to raise the morale of the players.

When they met Michael Cusack’s in the third round it was a case of win or bow out of the Championship. Once again the performance was poor and Michael Cusack’s brought an end to Kilmihil’s Championship prospects for 2007.

Final score: Kilmihil 0-9, Michael Cusack’s 0-10.   

U21A Championship

Kilmihil met Cooraclare in the first round of the U21 Championship and they had to come from behind to force a draw on the score of 12 points to 1-9. David Ryan played a prominent role scoring 5 points (4 from frees), Joe Duggan 4 from frees, Colm O’Gorman 2 & Shane Egan 1.

In the replay Kilmihil were by far the better team and established their superiority early on in the game. The result was never in doubt and Kilmihil went on to win on the score of 3-11 to 1-8. Shane Egan was in top form scoring 2 goals and two points, James Egan scored 1 goal & 2 points, Colm O’Gorman, David Ryan & Joe Duggan 2 points each and Paul Finucane 1 point. Their next opponents were a physically stronger Wolfe Tones team and although Kilmihil tried their best they were unable to get the better of the lads from Shannon and were beaten 1-8 to 2-10.